Sunday, March 21, 2010

First Week and going Local.

 [image from here]

Friday was my first real "Friday" in a while, since heading back to work, and I've forgotten how much I just love weekends.  We had a mellow one indeed, but we (mostly I) did manage to get out and enjoy our city.  Started off the week with a random St. Patty's Celebration/Parade through Arlington....the day before St. Patty's.  Don't ask me why, but Arlingtonians celebrated a day early with a cute (and short) parade.  It was nice to see all of the neighbors and their kiddos out enjoying the floats and beads.  I think the parade itself only lasted about 15 minutes total! 

On my first Friday after work, I left the office and went for a walk around downtown (destination: Banana Republic, mission: new work pants that aren't denim).  Along the way, I walked past the White House...which is just awesome.  LOTS of protesters out making themselves heard about the upcoming Healthcare vote, and it's really great to know that we live in a place where people can have and express an opinion.  (And, mission: accomplished....2 new pairs of pants).  Afterwards, Rick and I mozied back to Arlington and enjoyed a nice dinner al fresco at a great Lebanese restaurant.  If you've never had grilled haloumi cheese, find some immediately.

Saturday, while Rick went to visit his grandfather up in Maryland, I browsed the outdoor market that happens every Saturday just a few blocks from our house.  It's sad that I've lived here since September and have only been once, but I definitely plan to return.  Afterwards, I took a loooong walk: from Arlington, across Key Bridge, through Georgetown, along Rock Creek Park, and over towards the DC Zoo.  What walk isn't complete without finishing off at a rooftop bar with friends in Adams Morgan?  The day was reminiscent of old days in SF...  Rick and I went to dinner at a local pub/restaurant a few blocks from our house.

Today, after doing our taxes with H&R block, we hit up yet another local restaurant and basked in the beauty of outdoor spring brunch (and refunds!)  I think I'm learning to like Arlington.

Oh yeah, the job is good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment