Sunday, July 25, 2010

Full circle

Sometimes coincidences happen unexpectedly and get my wheels turning and just make me all sorts of happy and nostalgic and sentimental.

For example, Cousin Cally came over last week and grabbed a book off our bookshelf.  It happened to be a favorite, Katharine Graham's Personal History, which I read when I lived in San Francisco in 2002 (and ironically takes place mostly in DC).  Inside the book, I found an old SF Muni bus pass, dated July 2002 that I obviously used as my bookmark.  After I got over the initial "whoa-I'm-old" feeling, I realized that was exactly 8 years ago and could distinctly recall reading that amazing book all over San Francisco (maybe even sometimes at my desk at work....on those really busy days).  I stole the bookmark back from Cally (as all good older cousins should do) to use with my current read, The Big Short by Michael Lewis.

Well, today, as I was taking the bus in DC to meet some San Francisco friends who were in town and trying to make sense of the crazy mortgage bond crisis in Lewis's book, I managed to leave my SF bus pass bookmark on the DC bus. 

Seems inconsequential, but to me it made me smile and recall that fabulous time in my life.


[image from here]

1 comment:

  1. I love this story, but it makes me sad that you've now lost that special bus pass. I haven't been reading your blog as often as I should....you've been doing some good posting, Missy!!!! Love the videos, and stories like this one. Now I'm ready for a new picture besides fingers up nose!!!

    ReplyDelete